The 1st Battalion 44th Air Missile Defense
Battalion Change of Command.
On 16 December 2004 the 4th Infantry Division formally moved
into a new era of organization and effectiveness when it
officially became the Army's newest "modular" division. The
transformation of the 4th Infantry Division from a "legacy"
division to a "modular" configuration is in tune with the
dramatic changes being felt throughout the Army as it carries
through and adopts its strategic vision for the future. The
division bid farewell to the 1st Battalion, 44th Air Defense
Artillery as it left Fort Hood and transformed into the 1st
Battalion, 44th Air Defense Missile Artillery at Fort Bliss.
The 1st Battalion, 44th Air Defense Artillery Regiment was
originally constituted on 2 March 1899 in the Regular Army as
Battery O, 1st Regiment of Artillery, and organized at New
Orleans, LA. It was reorganized and re-designated on 13 February
1901 as the 12th Company, Coast Artillery, Artillery Corps.
The unit was subsequently re-designated on 2 February 1907
as the 12th Company, Coast Artillery Corps, and on 3 July 1916
as the 2d Company, Fort H.G. Wright [New York]. The unit was
then reorganized and re-designated on 22 July 1917 as Battery E,
7th Provisional Regiment, Coast Artillery Corps, on 5 February
1918 as Battery E, 52d Artillery (Coast Artillery Corps), on 26
March 1918 as the 1st Battery, Howitzer Regiment, 30th Brigade,
Coast Artillery Corps, and on 7 August 1918 as Battery E, 44th
Artillery (Coast Artillery Corps). It inactivated on 31 August
1921 at Camp Jackson, SC. (It was additionally designated on 1
June 1922 as the 12th Company, Coast Artillery Corps; but the
additional designation was abolished on 1 July 1924).
The unit was once again re-designated on 1 July 1924 as
Battery E, 44th Coast Artillery, and on 13 January 1941 as
Battery E, 54th Coast Artillery.
It activated 10 February 1941 at Camp Wallace, TX, and was
reorganized and re-designated on 5 June 1944 as Battery A, 607th
Coast Artillery Battalion. It disbanded on 31 July 1944 at Camp
It was reconstituted on 28 June 1950 in the Regular Army,
and concurrently consolidated with Battery A, 44th Field
Artillery Battalion (active), with the consolidated unit being
designated as Battery A, 44th Field Artillery Battalion, an
element of the 4th Infantry Division. It inactivated on 1 April
1957 at Fort Lewis, WA, and relieved from assignment to the 4th
It was re-designated on 12 August 1958 as Headquarters and
Headquarters Battery, 1st Automatic Weapons Battalion, 44th
Artillery (with its organic elements concurrently constituted).
The battalion activated on 1 September 1958 in Germany, where it
eventually inactivated on 10 August 1960.
Re-designated on 30 December 1965 as the 1st Battalion, 44th
Artillery, it reactivated on 1 March 1966 at Fort Bliss, TX. The
1st battalion, was re-designated on 1 September 1971 as the 1st
Battalion, 44th Air Defense Artillery. It inactivated on 30 June
1980 in Korea.
Assigned on 16 March 1988 to the 9th Infantry Division, it
reactivated at Fort Lewis, WA. Headquarters and Headquarters
Battery, 1st Battalion, 44th Air Defense Artillery, reorganized
and was re-designated on 16 February 1991 as Battery E, 44th Air
Defense Artillery. It was concurrently relieved from assignment
to the 9th Infantry Division and assigned to the 199th Infantry
Brigade (while the remainder of battalion inactivated at Fort
Lewis, WA). Battery E, 44th Air Defense Artillery, was relieved
on 16 July 1992 from assignment to the 199th Infantry Brigade.
It inactivated on 15 February 1994 at Fort Lewis, WA.
Re-designated on 16 January 1996 as Headquarters and
Headquarters Battery, 1st Battalion, 44th Air Defense Artillery,
the battalion was concurrently assigned to the 4th Infantry
Division and activated at Fort Hood, TX.
A Battery, 1st Battalion, 44th Air Defense Artillery (ADA)
Regiment had the only Linebacker-equipped platoons in the Army,
and the Stinger platoon was replaced by a six-system Avenger