The 1st Battalion 44th Air Missile Defense Battalion Change of Command.
On 16 December 2004 the 4th Infantry Division formally
moved into a new era of organization and effectiveness when it officially became
the Army's newest "modular" division. The transformation of the 4th Infantry
Division from a "legacy" division to a "modular" configuration is in tune with
the dramatic changes being felt throughout the Army as it carries through and
adopts its strategic vision for the future. The division bid farewell to the 1st
Battalion, 44th Air Defense Artillery as it left Fort Hood and transformed into
the 1st Battalion, 44th Air Defense Missile Artillery at Fort Bliss.
The 1st Battalion, 44th Air Defense Artillery Regiment was originally
constituted on 2 March 1899 in the Regular Army as Battery O, 1st Regiment of
Artillery, and organized at New Orleans, LA. It was reorganized and
re-designated on 13 February 1901 as the 12th Company, Coast Artillery,
The unit was subsequently re-designated on 2 February 1907 as the 12th Company,
Coast Artillery Corps, and on 3 July 1916 as the 2d Company, Fort H.G. Wright
[New York]. The unit was then reorganized and re-designated on 22 July 1917 as
Battery E, 7th Provisional Regiment, Coast Artillery Corps, on 5 February 1918
as Battery E, 52d Artillery (Coast Artillery Corps), on 26 March 1918 as the 1st
Battery, Howitzer Regiment, 30th Brigade, Coast Artillery Corps, and on 7 August
1918 as Battery E, 44th Artillery (Coast Artillery Corps). It inactivated on 31
August 1921 at Camp Jackson, SC. (It was additionally designated on 1 June 1922
as the 12th Company, Coast Artillery Corps; but the additional designation was
abolished on 1 July 1924).
The unit was once again re-designated on 1 July 1924 as Battery E, 44th Coast
Artillery, and on 13 January 1941 as Battery E, 54th Coast Artillery.
It activated 10 February 1941 at Camp Wallace, TX, and was reorganized and
re-designated on 5 June 1944 as Battery A, 607th Coast Artillery Battalion. It
disbanded on 31 July 1944 at Camp Rucker, AL.
It was reconstituted on 28 June 1950 in the Regular Army, and concurrently
consolidated with Battery A, 44th Field Artillery Battalion (active), with the
consolidated unit being designated as Battery A, 44th Field Artillery Battalion,
an element of the 4th Infantry Division. It inactivated on 1 April 1957 at Fort
Lewis, WA, and relieved from assignment to the 4th Infantry Division.
It was re-designated on 12 August 1958 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery,
1st Automatic Weapons Battalion, 44th Artillery (with its organic elements
concurrently constituted). The battalion activated on 1 September 1958 in
Germany, where it eventually inactivated on 10 August 1960.
Re-designated on 30 December 1965 as the 1st Battalion, 44th Artillery, it
reactivated on 1 March 1966 at Fort Bliss, TX. The 1st battalion, was
re-designated on 1 September 1971 as the 1st Battalion, 44th Air Defense
Artillery. It inactivated on 30 June 1980 in Korea.
Assigned on 16 March 1988 to the 9th Infantry Division, it reactivated at Fort
Lewis, WA. Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Battalion, 44th Air
Defense Artillery, reorganized and was re-designated on 16 February 1991 as
Battery E, 44th Air Defense Artillery. It was concurrently relieved from
assignment to the 9th Infantry Division and assigned to the 199th Infantry
Brigade (while the remainder of battalion inactivated at Fort Lewis, WA).
Battery E, 44th Air Defense Artillery, was relieved on 16 July 1992 from
assignment to the 199th Infantry Brigade. It inactivated on 15 February 1994 at
Fort Lewis, WA.
Re-designated on 16 January 1996 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st
Battalion, 44th Air Defense Artillery, the battalion was concurrently assigned
to the 4th Infantry Division and activated at Fort Hood, TX.
A Battery, 1st Battalion, 44th Air Defense Artillery (ADA) Regiment had the only
Linebacker-equipped platoons in the Army, and the Stinger platoon was replaced
by a six-system Avenger platoon.