The 48th Chemical Brigade has a vast and extensive history starting with its inception in the United States Army on 12 March 1942 as Headquarters and headquarters Company, 81st Chemical Battalion and later activated on 25 April, 1942 at Fort D.A. Russell, Texas. The Brigade later reorganized and redesignated on 14 February 1944 as headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 81st Chemical Battalion, Motorized followed by its redesignation on 22 February 1945 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 81st Chemical Mortar Battalion. The Brigade was inactivated on 7 November 1945 at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. Later, the Brigade was activated on 8 May, 1951 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina and was reorganized and redesignated on 12 February 1952 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company 81st Chemical Group. The Brigade reorganized and redesignated 1 December 1953 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 81st Chemical Group. The Brigade inactivated 12 September 1962 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.
Finally, the Brigade was redesignated on 14 January 2000 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 48th Chemical Brigade and was activated on 16 September 2007 at Fort Hood, Texas where they continue to partner with Combatant Commanders or other Governmental Agencies to counter Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and High Yield Explosive threats.
The Brigade received campaign participation credit for Normandy (with arrowhead), Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. The Brigade also has received decorations for the Presidential Unit Citation (Army), and the Streamer embroidered NORMANDY.
Last Updated on 5 October 2015