The 504th Military Intelligence Brigade traces its lineage to the early
days of World War II as the One Hundred Thirty-Seventh Signal Radio
Intelligence Company (Aviation). The Brigade was reorganized and
redesignated a number of times in the years following World War II and
in November 2007, the Brigade was redesignated as the Five Hundred
Fourth Battlefield Surveillance Brigade as part of Army transformation.
In June 2010 the Brigade completed its transformation and now consists of
a headquarters company and two military intelligence battalions -
the 163rd MI Battalion and the 303rd MI Battalion
2-38 Cavalry Regiment Phantom Trackers traces its lineage to the Third
Reconnaissance Squadron, which was activated in November 1942 at Fort
Bliss, Texas. The unit was redesignated as the Thirty-Eighth Cavalry
Reconnaissance Squadron (Mechanized) prior to deployment to the European
Theater of Operations. The Squadron fought across Western Europe, before
finishing the war in Germany. Exceptionally good fortune in combat
earned the Squadron the nickname “Lucky Thirty Eighth.” On 15 February
2008 Bravo Troop, 38th Cavalry Squadron was re-activated at Fort Hood,
Texas and deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in August 2008.
In June 2010 the unit was expanded and the Squadron was activated in
preparation for deployment. The squadron was deactivated, May 29, 2015 in a ceremony at Fort Hood.
The 163rd Military Intelligence Battalion, The Blue Watch, was initially
organized on 5 April 1945, as the One Hundred Sixty Third Language
Detachment, at Luzon, Republic of the Philippines. The One Hundred Sixty
Third holds 11 battle streamers from World War II and Korea, and on May
4, 1971, the Secretary of the Army accorded the battalion the title,
“The Blue Watch.” The Battalion was reactivated on 17 January 2006 and
was the army’s first modular Military Intelligence Battalion, the model
for MI Battalions that provide the Maneuver Commander with integrated
intelligence assets allowing him to know the enemy through signals,
human, and counterintelligence.
The 303rd Military Intelligence Battalion, Longhorn, is the U.S. Army’s
most decorated Military Intelligence Battalion, with 25 campaign
streamers, eight unit commendations, and three foreign unit decorations.
The Battalion’s parent unit, the 325 Signal Service Company, was
activated on April 29, 1944 at Wincham Hall, Cheshire, England. On June
15, 1962 the Battalion was returned to active duty as the Three Hundred
Third Army Security Agency Battalion at Camp Wolters, Texas and the
“Longhorn Battalion” name was adopted by the native Texans. On April 21,
1978 the Battalion was redesignated as the Three Hundred Third MI
Battalion, and assigned to the newly formed Five Hundred Fourth MI
Group. In November 2007 the Battalion was restructured as a modular BfSB
Military Intelligence Battalion.
The 268th Network Support Company was activated in September 1943 at
Camp Crowder, Missouri as the Two Hundred Sixty Eighth Signal
Construction Company. The unit was reorganized and redesignated a number
of times following World War II and was reactivated in April 2007 as
part of the Five Hundred Fourth Battlefield Surveillance Brigade. The company was deactivated, Sept. 9, 2015, in a ceremony at Fort Hood.
The 509th Forward Support Company was constituted as Motor Transport
Company Number Sixteen in April 1924. It served in the Italian Campaign
during World War II. The Five Hundred Ninth was inactivated 1 November
1946 at Camp Hood, Texas and was redesignated the Five Hundred Ninth
Forward Support Company upon reactivation at Fort Hood Texas on 16
December 2007. The company was deactivated, Sept. 9, 2015, in a ceremony at Fort Hood.
The Headquarters and Headquarters Company traces its lineage to the
early days of World War II and was reorganized and redesignated a number
of times in the years following. In June 2010, the unit was reorganized
and expanded to provide the command and control for the Five Hundred
Fourth Battlefield Surveillance Brigade, completing its modular
Shoulder Sleeve Insignia and Distinctive Unit Insignia
SHOULDER SLEEVE INSIGNIA
Description: On a blue shield 3 inches in height and 2 1/4 inches
in width with a 1/8 inch yellow border a silver gray winged lightning
flash with wings elevated, the flash topped with a silver gray demi
Symbolism: Oriental blue and silver gray are the colors
associated with the Military Intelligence branch. The wings suggest
loftiness, or the advantage obtained from clear observation. The
lightning flash alludes to the unit’s ability to respond accurately and
quickly in support of the commander’s needs for intelligence from all
sources. The fleur-de-lis is both a symbol of intelligence and of the
brigade’s roots in the battles of Northern France and Central Europe.
Yellow (gold) signifies excellence and achievement.
Background: This insignia was approved on 19 Dec 1985.
DISTINCTIVE UNIT INSIGNIA
Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inched
in height overall consisting of a vertical red enamel winged lightning
flash with wings elevated, tipped with a demi-fleur-de-lis, all within a
continuous blue scroll arced at top and base and passing behind the
wings and demi-fleur-de-lis at the sides and top and inscribed "SEMPER
PRAEPARATUS" in gold letters; and all areas enclosed by the wings and
scroll are checky of gold and silver gray.
Symbolism: Oriental blue and silver gray are the colors used for
Military Intelligence; blue and gold signify loyalty and accomplishment.
Wings connote loftiness, the vantage point for visual observation. The
lightning flash and checky area represent technological capabilities;
together they symbolize vigilant leadership, celerity and
communications. The checky area and lightning flash also allude to the
organization’s concern with strategic control over hostile
communications and the security of friendly communications. The
demi-fleur-de-lis, lightning flash, wings and checky area also refer to
the lineage of the organization when constituted in 1942 as the 137th
Signal Radio Intelligence Company, Aviation. The demi-fleur-de-lis is
further used to denote Europe and the organization’s participation in
Northern France, Central Europe and Rhineland Campaigns, World War II.
The scarlet color refers to the Meritorious Unit Commendation Streamer
awarded the unit inscribed "EUROPEAN THEATER."
Background: This insignia was originally approved on 7 Jun 1976 for
the 504th Army Security Agency Group; redesignated for the 504th
Military Intelligence Group on 22 May 1978. The distinguished unit
insignia was redesignated on 1 Apr 1986 for the 504th Military