List of Acceptable Documents (Cannot Be Expired)



US Passport or US Passport Card.


Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551.)

Voter's registration card.

Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp, or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine readable immigrant visa.

US Military ID Card or Draft record.

Employment Authorization document that contains a photograph (Form I-766.)

US Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card.

In the case of a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status, a foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien’s nonimmigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form.

Native American tribal document.

Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM,) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission, under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI.

Driver’s License issued by a Canadian Government Authority.

Driver’s License or ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address.


ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address.


Military dependent’s ID card.


Persons Under the Age of 18 Who Are Unable to Present a Document
Listed Above, May Use the Following (Cannot Be Expired):

School record or report card.

Clinic, doctor, or hospital record.

Day-care or nursery school record.

Social Security Account Number card, other than one that specifies on the face that the issuance of the card does not authorize employment in the United States.

Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545.)

Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350.)

Original or certified copy of the birth certificate issued by a State, County, Municipal Authority, or Territory of the United States bearing an official seal.

Native American tribal document.

U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197.)

Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179.)

Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security.

This page was last updated on May 19, 2014.