FIRST ARMY DIVISION WEST BANNER

191st Infantry Brigade's Lineage and Honors

166th AVN BDE Logo

191st Infantry Brigade constituted 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, assigned to the 96th Division.

191st Infantry Brigade organized in December 1921 in Portland, Oregon.

Re-designated 23 March 1925 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 191st Brigade.


They were later redesignated 24 August 1936 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 191st Infantry Brigade.

The Brigade converted and redesignated 6 April 1942 as the 96th Reconnaissance Troop (less 3rd Platoon), 96th Division (Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 192nd Infantry Brigade, concurrently converted and redesignated as the 3rd Platoon, 96th Reconnaissance Troop, 96th Division.

Troop ordered into active military service 15 August 1942 and reorganized at Camp Adair, Oregon, as the 96th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop, an element of the 96th Infantry Division.

Reorganized and redesignated 16 August 1943 as the 96th Reconnaissance Troop, Mechanized

Reorganized and redesignated 20 November 1945 as the 96th Mechanized Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop.

Inactivated 3 February 1946 at Camp Anza, California.

Activated 20 January 1947 at Spokane, Washington.

Organized Reserves redesignated 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps; redesignated 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve.

Reorganized and redesignated 12 April 1949 as the 96th Reconnaissance Company.

Location changed 15 October 1951 to Salt Lake City, Utah.

Inactivated 1 June 1959 at Salt Lake City, Utah.

Converted and redesignated (less 3rd Platoon) 5 November 1962 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 191st Infantry Brigade, and relieved from assignment to the 96th Infantry Division (3rd Platoon, 96th Reconnaissance Company, concurrently redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 192nd Infantry Brigade - hereafter separate lineage)

Activated 1 February 1963 at Helena, Montana.

Inactivated 29 February 1968 at Helena, Montana.

Withdrawn 24 October 1997 from the Army Reserve and allotted to the Regular Army; Headquarters concurrently activated at Fort Lewis, Washington.

Inactivated 16 October 1999 at Fort Lewis, Washington.

Headquarters activated 1 December 2006 at Fort Lewis, Washington.

CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT

World War II: Leyte (with arrowhead); Ryukyus

DECORATIONS

Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered "17 October 1944 to 4 July 1945"



First Army Division West Logo

Official web site of the U.S. Army, First Army Division West.
This site contains official U.S. Government information.
This site was last updated on Tuesday, March 5, 2013.

Contact the Webmaster | Privacy & Security  |  Accessibility  |  Army A-Z  |  FOIA

First Army Division West Vimeo Page   First Army Division West Twitter Page   First Army Division West Flickr Page   First Army Division West Facebook Page  

DISCLAIMER: Non-DOD links on this site are provided for mission support and as a community service.
Their appearance does not constitute an endorsement by the DOD, DA, or IMCOM.

Army Public Affairs fulfills the Army's obligation to keep the American people and the Army informed,
and helps to establish the conditions that lead to confidence in America's Army,
and its readiness to conduct operations in peacetime, conflict and war.