Directorate of Public Works


...Customers First

DPW Logo
Contact Us                         This information system is approved for UNCLASSIFIED//FOUO data
Get your security deposit back!
1. Carefully read your entire lease contract and any “addendums” before signing. Ask a Legal Assistance attorney to review the documents if you have questions.

Specifically, look for language pertaining to the following security deposit issues:

  • Waiving your rights under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) – Waiving your SCRA rights can be very costly; ask a Legal Assistance attorney for advice.

  • A contractual obligation to give the landlord detailed, written move-out notice – Make sure you know what is required and how far in advance to provide notice.

  •  A requirement that the landlord’s representative acknowledge his or her receipt of your move-out notice in writing – An oral agreement or confirmation from your landlord may not comply with your contract, and you might lose your deposit!

  • A requirement that you sign or submit the landlord’s special “move-out form” before you vacate –These forms are not provided for the benefit of service-members & families and may contain additional unfavorable terms. Read carefully.

  • MOVE-OUT PROCEDURES: including inspections, yard work, and cleaning – When you sign a new residential lease, leaving the premises may be the last thing on your mind. However, you should review the move-out terms carefully! Some residential leases require surprisingly expensive and time-consuming move-out procedures. Failure to comply with the terms of your lease can result in the loss of your security deposit and the imposition of costly fees and penalties.

2.  When you move out, keep the receipts for all the cleaning services, carpet shampooing, lawn care, and other property maintenance work that you have done.

Take before and after photos of the interior and exterior of your leased property when you move in and when you prepare to leave. Record ALL prior damage and keep for your records! Receipts and photos can help you prove that you are entitled to the return of your security deposit if there is a dispute.

3.  At inspection time, ask for written confirmation that you have complied with the move-out terms of the lease. Do not rely on a verbal statement that you are “good to go”.
4. Contact the Legal Assistance Office if you have any questions!
Contact Info:
Fort Hood Consolidated Client Service
Building 13, 52nd Street, west of the III Corps HQ Building
(254) 287-7901, (254) 287-3199, (254) 287-2509, (254) 287-2514
WARNING This is a Department of Defense (DoD) interest computer system. All DoD computer systems are subject to monitoring at all times to ensure proper functioning of including security devices, to prevent unauthorized use and violations of statutes and security regulations, to deter criminal activity, and for other similar purposes. If monitoring of this or any other DoD computer system reveals possible evidence of violation of criminal statutes, this evidence and any other related information, including identification information about the user may be provided to law enforcement officials.