INSTALLATION STATUS: Open Protecting Fort Hood starts with you. If you see or hear anything suspicious, call 288-COPS (2677). Think....Protect...OPSEC!

Protecting Fort Hood starts with you. If you see or hear anything suspicious, call 288-COPS (2677). Think....Protect...OPSEC!


On post registration…

It is mandatory that all Fort Hood personnel register their privately owned vehicles (POVs) and obtain a DoD Vehicle Registration Decal. This includes civilians, active military, retired personnel and contractors. To obtain a DoD decal for persons in-processing you must first know your assigned unit.

Once you have obtained unit information you can then register your vehicle at the Marvin Leath Visitor’s Center. Persons must have a valid driver's license, current vehicle registration, proof of insurance and an identification card or proof of military affiliation.

If you are requesting to operate a vehicle on Fort Hood is that registered in another person's name (other than spouse) you may obtain a 6 month temporary pass for the vehicle. You must present a notarized statement or power of attorney, stating that you are authorized use of the vehicle. It must contain the period of authorized usage and a description of the vehicle including the VIN number, make, model and license plate Number/State and vehicle color.

Military, family members, DA civilians and retirees may walk in with the pre-printed DA Form 3626 in order to expedite vehicle renewal/registration. This service will provide DOD decals or new vehicle registration.

Online Procedures Click Here to download DA Form 3626 in either PDF or PureEdge Format

Notice: New Vehicle Registration and Renewal Request must be submitted on DA Form 3626 (Vehicle Registration/Driver Record) which may be down loaded from link. The DA Form 3626 contains PII and can only be sent from an encrypted .mil email account. Otherwise the DA Form 3626 forms completed and faxed to 254-553-1589 or dropped off in person. The completed renewal or new registration should be ready for pickup within 48 hours the required information is received. When picking up your registration you will need to present the following documents: Valid MIL/DA CAC, Retired or Dependant ID, Drivers License, Current state vehicle registration form, Current insurance card or binder. Contractors requesting to register a vehicle must submit their request on Company Letterhead. The request must include the contract identification number along with the end of contract date.

You may check the status of your mailed, faxed or dropped off registration request by calling 254-287-9909 to see if it is ready to be picked up.

Renewal request may be sent to:

Requirements for DOD Decal:

  • Military members present your ID or CAC card
  • Contractors need a letter of employment with contract number and period of performance. Letters must be signed by Government Contracting Officer or Contracting Officer's Representative requesting a decal. Each request will be validated by DES before a decal will be issued.
  • Current driver’s license
  • Motorcyclist must have an endorsement on their license and Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) card
  • Any card issued outside Fort Hood has a 5-year expiration
  • Current vehicle registration
  • Proof of current insurance
  • All insurance cards must have effective & expiration dates

Requirements for One-Time Entry Pass:

  • Active, Guard & Reserve service members, Dept. of the Army & DoD civilian employees, retirees and family members must have a valid ID card
  • Valid driver’s license
  • Current vehicle registration
  • Proof of current insurance
  • License plate number
  • Current vehicle registration
  • Destination as name of facility, building number, street address, or unit name

Note: If there are any additional drivers to listed on the temporary pass, they must provide their Social Security account number, driver’s license number and state of license origin

Requirements for Rental Vehicles:
(You may drive a rental vehicle directly to an entry control point without a pass from the Visitors Center)

  • Active, Guard & Reserve service members, Dept. of the Army & DoD civilian employees, retirees and family members must have a valid ID card
  • Valid driver's license
  • Vehicle rental agreement

Requirements for Commercial or Company Vehicles:
(Bring all the below listed information to the Visitors Center and you can pick up the passes 72 hours later from Station 7.)

  • Copies of the Registration and Insurance for each vehicle.
  • One list of all the driver names with their SSN and driver's license number.
  • A list of driver names only for each vehicle. (This will be attached to each pass)
Visitors Center

The Marvin Leath Visitor's Center is open:
24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Phantom Express…

Most of Fort Hood's gates are electronic Phantom Express lanes.  To use these lanes, you must obtain a Phantom Express sticker.  The system scans your sticker as you swipe you CAC card.  Phantom Express registration is conducted at bldg 69005 adjacent to the Marvin Leath Visitors Center on TJ Mills Blvd.  The office is open weekdays from 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.  The phone number is 287-3469. For more information visit their website at:

Texas Driver's License…

A Non-Resident active duty soldier and their family members stationed in Texas who hold a valid state driver's license from another state are not required to obtain a Texas Driver's license.

A Resident active duty soldier and their family members stationed in Texas must obtain a Texas Drivers License.

Soldiers and family members can obtain their driver's licenses and get their vehicles registered at the Bell County Annex at 301 and 302 Priest Dr. in Killeen.

Three forms of identification are needed for a Texas driver's license or Texas identification card. Active duty military will only need their military identification card.

In Copperas Cove, the facility is in the Coryell County Annex at 201 S. Second St.

State Registration…

The owner must bring current proof of the out of state registration, if applicable; the lien holder's name and address; proof of insurance; and the "green slip," or valid Texas inspection slip.

Regardless of status of home of record, the state requires vehicles to have Texas minimum liability insurance. Please contact the Bell County Vehicle Registration Office at 254-618-4180 for guidelines regarding insurance, tax rates and fees.

Texas charges a 6.25% motor vehicle sales tax on the purchase price of the vehicle titled in Texas and owned by Texas residents.  New residents pay $90.00


Regardless of status or home of record, the state requires vehicles to have Texas minimum liability insurance of $25,000 bodily injury per person, $50,000 per accident for bodily injury and $25,000 for property damage. Drivers have 30 days after moving to Texas to change their vehicle insurance coverage.


Seat belts are required at all times while driving on post; infant car seats are required; minimum amount of liability insurance is required; parking of motor vehicles is authorized only in those areas/spaces designated for parking.  Speed limit on Fort Hood is 30 mph unless otherwise posted.

Rental vehicles…

Military (Active Duty, US Army Reserve, National Guard, Retirees), DoD Civilian or Contractors with a CAC card, Dependants of Active Duty and Retired driving a rental vehicle can enter any Access Control Point without a pass. Rental or loaner agreements must be presented along with valid identification. Rental agreements may be in the sponsor's name or the dependant's name. Loaner agreements must be issued from a new or used car dealer or repair shop. This policy is not intended for vehicles loaned for use by private individuals.

Weapons/Firearms Registration:

Weapons/Firearms registration, Fort Hood Regulation 190-11 Weapons, All firearms entering Fort Hood must be registered with the DES. All military personnel, government employees, and all civilians, including Family Members, who store, possess, or use a weapon on Fort Hood. Firearms may be registered at the Visitor Welcome Center, Bldg 69012 or at the DES Police Desk Bldg 23020. Do not bring the firearm to either location to register. Weapons are prohibited in these facilities except for Law Enforcement personnel performing their duties. To view FH Regulation 190-11Weapons you can go to the following link:

To register your firearm(s) go to the following link and download pdf.doc FH form 190-19. Follow the directions and complete the form and bring the form to either location to complete the registration process.

The following is from the Commanding Generals Policy Letter concerning firearms:

All personnel bringing a Privately Owned Firearm (POF) on Fort Hood must enter through an Access Control Point (ACP), declare that they are bringing a POF on post and state the reason they are doing so to ACP personnel. Personnel must also declare possession of firearms to officials upon being directed to an ACP inspection area, being stopped by law enforcement officials, or for any other checkpoint or inspection operation.