Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

*Who is Authorized a Military Dependent ID Cards?

Spouses, biological, step or adopted children. Children over the age of 21 who are full time college students are eligible once the required documents are provided. Parents or parents-in-law upon approval from DFAS. Anyone under the age of 21 that has been placed in the military sponsor’s household by court order or a placement agency.

*Why do I need two forms of ID?

Homeland Security Presidential Directive-12 (HSPD-12) and Directive-Type Memorandum (DTM) 08-003 requires all adults to provide two forms of state or federal issued identification that is not expired. One MUST be a photo ID. (Name on all forms of identification presented must be identical and match what is in the DEERS database.)

*When am I eligible for TRICARE for LIFE?

The first day of the 65th birthday month providing you have Medicare Card reflecting Part A and Part B"

*How long are wait times?

Wait times vary due to circumstances beyond our control such as system issues, high volume of customers, rotational lunch hours, etc. Appointments are required and customers are normally serviced within 30 minutes or less. Wait times for walk-in service may exceed two (2) or more hours.

*What is an Agent Card and who is authorized an Agent Card?

An agent card allows a specific named person to shop for, or with an authorized patron, on a temporary basis not to exceeed one (1) year. Patrons who are disabled, eligible children with non-military parents and eligible extreme hardship cases are authorized an Agent Card.

*How early can an ID Card be renewed?

90 days prior to the expiration date. Please visit the online appointment system to schedule a renewal appointment or call (254) 553-4444 for assistance with scheduling an appointment. For additional information please call (254) 287-5670 or (254) 287-2518.

*How long do I have to wait before I can get my Retirement Card?

On or after your effective date of retirement. Active Duty Soldiers are officially on Active Duty until midnight of their separation date, however per AFI 36-3026_IP, you can be issued your Retirement Card up to 90 days prior to the actual Retirement date. In order to do this your Active Duty Status must be terminated in the DEERS stytem prior to your actual Retirement date, which may cause a lapse in you and your Family Member's medical coverage. You must present your DD Form 214 to receive your Retiree ID card.

*Why does the Sponsor need to be present or why do I need an original Power of Attorney?

According to the Privacy Act of 1974, the disclosure of any Social Security Number is to be protected by law. The Power of Attorney authorizes access to the Sponsor's DEERS information.

*Why do I need documents that are the original certified copy with the File Number on it?

Per regulatory Department of Defense (DoD) guidance, all documents must be the original certified copy with the File Number showing the document was filed with the county Record Clerk’s office.

*I have a disabled adult dependent. What are the requirements to receive or renew the ID cards?

A Dependency Determination packet must be filled out and sent to the Defense Finance Accounting Services (DFAS) office for approval. You will also be required to have a current Medical Sufficiency Statement from a Medical Facility and the sponsor must be providing more than 50% of support to the disabled dependent. Two forms of valid (not expired) Identification will be required. Medical incapacitation must have occurred and documented in medical records prior to the 21st birthday. Each renewal of the ID Card requires a new Dependency Determination from DFAS. For more information please visit the link for Medically Incapacitated Child.

*If I am deployed or geographically separated from my family, how can my dependents receive ID card service?

Dependents must present your valid Power of Attorney or you must visit the nearest DoD ID Card facility or S1 and complete a DD Form 1172-2, sign it and ensure the clerk uploads it into DEERS. Your dependents may then visit our office and we can retrieve the DD Form 1172-2 and provide the ID card service.